This cake is delightful – light, airy, nutty and the cream is lovely and sweet without tasting too rich. It’s starts with a meringue mix, and needs a lot of care so it’s not a cake for a quick night fix but more for an afternoon tea or dinner party dessert.
The icing isn’t meant to be so goopy, but I was too impatient to beat the cream!
Hazelnut Cake Recipe
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup finely ground hazelnuts
Coffee Cream Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup double thickened cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
How to Make Easy Hazelnut Cake Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a 20cm springform round cake tin with butter and baking paper (this is important to prevent the cake from sticking).
Also Try: Delicious Lemon Tart Recipe
2. Place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat till firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating constantly till the mixture has become thick and glossy.
3. Add egg yolks and vanilla, beat v. briefly till combined (no more than 15-20 seconds). Sift together cornflour and baking powder, mix in cornflour, self-raising flour and ground hazelnuts, alternating and working quickly and lightly. Do NOT overmix, as this will result in the cake mix losing air.
4. Spread mixture into cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, till cake is lightly golden and has shrunk from the sides of the cake tin. Make sure that a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out perfectly clean. Leave in the open oven for 5 minutes before turning out to cool.
To make coffee cream:
Using electric beaters, beat all ingredients together till the cream is thick and holds firm peaks. Cut cream in half, spread with cream, then put the top on and cover with cream again. Top can be decorated with walnuts and chocolate curls for presentation.