This is one of my absolute favourite salads, and can you see why? Vegetarian-friendly, it is healthy and light, yet quite filling, and so amazingly filled with texture and flavour that it makes a wonderful lunch or light dinner.
Since it requires sweet potatoes and tomatoes to be roasted, it may not be the quickest salad in the world, but if you’re after a wonderful new summer dish to try then this might be it! Oh – and a hint? You can roast the potato and tomato at night and let them cool, and plate up the salad the next day for a super-fast meal. What could be easier?
Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe Explained
Anyway, I’m sorry for the long absence folks, but after feeling utterly burnt out for awhile with work and family stuff, I decided to take the weekend off and go to one of Victoria’s most beautiful destinations, a little coastal town called Apollo Bay 🙂
However, even that didn’t seem like a total holiday as I was only down for the weekend, so up at dawn and frantically running about taking as many photos as possible, as well as cooking up quick and healthy meals that would sustain my friend and myself so we didn’t have to leave the cosy little cottage we had rented.
Having gotten back, it’s taken awhile to work up the enthusiasm to blog (or do anything again), but hopefully today’s recipe will make you think it’s been worth the wait 🙂
You can try this awesome salad! In American grocery stores the “sweet potatoes” are actually called yams. You can took this a step further and added some red onion and avocado slices. For step two you can plan on adding a little smoked salmon and a tiny bit of bacon bits.
Baked Sweet Potato Recipe & Tomato Salad Recipe
(Adapted from ‘The Instant Cook‘ by Donna Hay)
Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes (kumara), peeled
- 3 medium-sized ripe Roma tomatoes
- 150g baby spinach leaves, thoroughly washed and rinsed
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 60g good quality feta cheese, drained
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & cracked pepper
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
How to Make Sweet Potato Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into wedges, then halve the tomatoes and place on a lined baking tray. Drizzle over a little olive oil, then sprinkle over salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, or till the potato is golden, soft, and can be poked straight through.
2. To make the dressing, whisk together the honey, vinegar and olive oil. Set aside for now. Take two large plates and begin to layer the baby spinach leaves, baked sweet potato wedges and tomato pieces until you have a good amount on each plate.
3. Crumble the feta cheese over the top and sprinkle a liberal amount of chopped almonds over the salad. Use a spoon to sparingly and evenly drizzle the dressing over the top and serve immediately 🙂
If you tried cooking this recipe, and did the sweet potatoes recipe as directed at the right temperature (tried higher temp. also), but the potatoes tend to end up being either too dry or not cooked soft enough? I have advice for that certain problem.
Also Try: Best Delicious Tempura Batter Recipe
I have to admit that I’m not quite sure…too dry sounds like you’re overcooking them. Are you using a fan-forced oven? Perhaps try cutting the sweet potatoes into thicker pieces and see if that helps prevent them from overcooking/drying out? Alternatively, you could try partially cooking them in the microwave or a steamer, then place them into the oven to brown and finish the cooking process! It kind of feels like cheating, but it’s much better than tossing out under/overcooked food!