Methinks that perhaps Mr. Beauregard wouldn’t be quite so upset about his daughter Violet turning into a blueberry if she became part of these most delicious blueberry buttermilk pancakes. Am I suggesting cannibalism? Never! Not that it’d really be cannibalism as technically she did become fruit-i-fied! No oompa loompas here, but I did work some magic with a punnet of blueberries…
However, we’ll stick to non-humaney berries for now and proceed to the actual food. In keeping with my recent berries and buttermilk addiction, I picked up a punnet of blueberries (the fact that we now have affordable fresh blueberries is almost enough to make me weep with joy!) and wondered what sort of goodness I could make with them.
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
Yet again I turned to the foodblog world’s favourite Cream Puff and the recipe she used to create some utterly drool-worthy blueberry buttermilk pancakes recipe. These pancakes are lighter than air, fluffy, puffy and have a decadantly delicate crumb which seems to melt in the mouth!
Also Try: Strawberry Cake Recipe
All I can say at this point about these blueberry pancakes recipe is that of the 15 pancakes this batter made, there are none left. That’s right – none. My family were devouring them as fast as I could fry and plate them! There were 2 left this morning, but those were savoured by yours truly with a dollop of creamy vanilla ice-cream (now, isn’t that just the most hedonistic way to start the day?) and a cup of tea.
These blueberry pancakes are so good that, like Ivonne’s muffins, you will never want for another pancake recipe ever. The recipe does call for blueberries, but I can easily see them featuring any other berries, or chopped and skinned stone fruits – in fact, the next time I try these will be with black cherries!
The teaming of that moist, delicate crumb with the delightfully fresh and juicy blueberries will definetely make your tastebuds explode.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
(adapted from Ivonne’s adaptation)
- 2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Extra unsalted butter to fry the pancakes
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
1. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, bicarb soda)
2. Mix together wet ingredients (eggs, buttermilk, melted butter)
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and carefully mix till just combined (do NOT overmix – the batter should be slightly lumpy)
4. Heat a frying pan and melt 1-2 tbsp butter at a time over a low heat. Once the butter has melted, ladle roughly 1/3 cup of batter into the frying pan and lightly spread into a circular shape of even thickness with the back of your ladle
Also Try: The Best Simple Pancake Recipe
5. Sprinkle some berries over the uncooked surface and push them into the batter. You may also want to just dot a little batter over the top of each berry, as covering them with batter means you’ll lose less berry juice to the frying pan
6. Fry for about 2-3 minutes or till the sides have started to colour and the bottom is slightly crispy and nicely browned. Carefully flip over and fry the other side till equally cooked through.
7. Plate up and serve with maple syrup, or a creamy non-sweet vanilla ice-cream and enjoy!
The picture of this recipe is definetely food porn – rich vanilla ice-cream melting over warm, fluffy blueberry pancakes. Ahhh, bliss!