Devils food cupcakes recipe. You either love ‘em or you hate ‘em. You might be thinking “Awww, but they’re so cute – teensy tiny cakes with frosting that you can devour in a few bites – what’s not to love?”
Long time readers of my blog will know that I used to have an almost unreasonable fear of these petite mounds of cuteness. I did eventually manage to turn out a pretty decent chocolate chai cupcake (with assistance from this book), but after that one success I put them to the back of my mind and forgot all about them – both the making and consuming.
Devils Food Cupcake Recipe With Rich Icing
If you’ve been browsing other food blogs, you may have noticed the cupcakes suddenly springing up all over the place – all in honour of the cupcake round-up being hosted by Chery of Cupcake Bakeshop and Garret of Vanilla Cupcake, two food bloggers united in their love of all things cupcake-y!
Also Try: Passion Fruit Souffle Recipe
I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try my hand at making these mini cakes again, so I turned to my cupcake compendium and looked for something relatively quick and easy but that still sounded delish.
The recipe that I happened upon was for ‘Devils Food Cupcakes‘ – chocolate cupcakes with a dark chocolate buttercream frosting. I don’t know about you, but when I hear ‘devil’ in relation to ‘chocolate’, I start expecting something sinfully rich and delicious, so I eagerly set myself to work, despite the fact that I had this niggling feeling that something wasn’t right.
It was only at the halfway point that I realized that these had hardly any chocolate in them. My fears were confirmed when, having tasted one straight out of the oven, I found myself hard pressed to taste any chocolatey goodness in the cupcake itself.
Don’t get me wrong, the devils food cupcakes are pretty nice, light and fluffy with a moist crumb – the only problem is the lack of chocolate flavour, which I’ve amended to make these a little more decadent 😉 The devil’s sitting pretty in the super-rich buttercream icing, so if you attempt these make sure there’s plenty of icing to go with them!
Devil’s Food Cupcakes Recipe Ingredients
(adapted from 500 Cupcakes)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 225g light brown sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 125g plain dark chocolate, melted
- 25g dutch cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 115ml milk
Chocolate Buttercream Icing Recipe
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp milk
- 115g plain dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90g soft icing mixture, sieved
How to Make Devils Food Cupcake Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
2. Sieve the flour and baking powder and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg yolks and beat well, then add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder and vanilla and beat till well combined. Add the milk and flour alternately, beating well with each addition.
4. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl till soft peaks form, then gently fold 1/2 into the batter, adding the remaining 1/2 once incorporated.
Also Try: Lemon Cupcake Recipe
5. Spoon 1 heaped tsp of batter into the cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean and they bounce back when gently pressed. Remove tins from the oven and cool the cupcakes.
6. To make the icing, cream the butter and sugar, then add the milk and beat till smooth. Stir in the chocolate and vanilla, then beat in the icing sugar till the mixture is thick and creamy. Spread over the cupcakes with a knife/spatula, and decorate with a dusting of edible gold powder if you want to go all out 😉