For someone who proclaims that they aren’t a chocoholic, I sure seem to post a lot of chocolate recipes! Am I just in denial? Perhaps somewhere under this hardened exterior lies a sweet, gooey, intense rush of chocolate love? Maybe I should just take a deep breath, step forward and admit it – my name is Stefanie, and I’m a chocoholic.
To be honest, I’m not the world’s biggest chocaholic. I don’t find myself constantly craving it’s cocoa kiss, nor am I driven to seek it out very often. However, when there’s a freshly baked chocolate cake (or a beautiful chocolate truffle) in my vicinity, the smell enters my nose and my eyes roll back into my head with pleasure as my senses are awakened.
Easy Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe For Inexperienced Baker
Anyone who knows what I’m talking about understands what I mean when I say that chocolate is a beautiful thing. This being my very last week at my workplace (and Friday being my last day ever), I decided to treat my coworkers by making them this very special chocolate mud cake recipe.
Also Try: Delicious Raspberry Swiss Roll Recipe
I’ve made this mud cake recipe for many special occasions before, so I thought it only appropriate for this to be my farewell cake, a nice way to go out with a bang and leave my friends and fans with a final touch of sweetness from me to them 🙂
Though it is super impressive, the beauty of this cake is that it is utterly foolproof and easy enough for even the most inexperienced baker to make. Moist, fluffy, rich, and intensely chocolatey – despite all the other chocolate cake recipes there are in the world (and we know that there are as many of those as grains of sand on a beach!) I know that I need no other than this to last me the rest of my days…
Best Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe Ingredients
- 200g butter, chopped
- 200g good quality dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 30g cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 60ml (1/4) cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 220g caster sugar
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 115g self-raising flour, sifted
- 150g good quality dark cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thin cream
How to Make Easy Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C, then line a cake tin with baking paper (this cake is fragile and moist so you’ll need the paper to be able to remove it from the tin – greasing the cake tin is not enough).
2. Combine butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee powder, water & vanilla essence in a medium saucepan. Whisk over low heat till smooth & well combined. Set aside mixture till it is lukewarm.
3. Beat sugar & egg together till pale and creamy. Slowly add the lukewarm chocolate mix whilst continually beating with an electric hand whisk, then add the flour and beat till combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Pour mix into prepared cake tin and bake for 55 mins, or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
Also Try: The Best Lemon Tart Recipe
5. Set cake out to cool in tin for 15, then remove from cake tin and turn on a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make ganache, combine chocolate and cream in heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of bowl). Stir occasionally, till mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for around an hour, stirring occasionally till it has cooled and thickened to a spreadable consistency.
7. Spread ganache over cooled cake. Set aside for 30 mins or till ganache is firm, then serve!
This easy chocolate mud cake recipe is one that tastes better if slightly aged, so if you are planning ahead then try and make it around 2-3 days before you intend to serve it. You can leave the iced cake in the fridge for up to a week, and just remove it about an hour before you serve it to soften the cake and ganache and bring them to room temperature.