This mud cake recipe is one that I’ve been making for many many years. It is responsible for my acquiring a legion of admirers (it’s all about mad baking skillz yo), and many an empassioned “OH GOD?…
This didn’t quite work this time as, being tired since I was baking at 1am in the morning, I saw 160 as being 180 and couldn’t be bothered cutting out a circle of baking paper for the top. Ooooh, how I regret it now. It still tastes divine but oh well.
Dark Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe
Mud Cake Recipe
- 200g butter, chopped
- 200g good quality dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 30g cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 60ml (1/4) cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 220g caster sugar
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 115g self-raising flour, sifted
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 150g good quality dark cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thin cream
How to Make Mud Cake Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Cut out a circle of baking paper slightly smaller than the base of your cake tin, then line the tin (save the cut out circle for later)
Also Read: The Secrets To Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe
2. Combine butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee powder, water & vanilla essence in a medium saucepan. Whisk over low heat till smooth & well combined. Set aside mixture till it is lukewarm.
3. Beat sugar & egg together till pale and creamy. Add lukewarm chocolate mixture and whisk till well combined. Add flour and whisl till well combined.
4. Pour mix into prepared cake tin then top with the cut out circle (this is to prevent a hard crust from forming). Bake for 55 mins, or till skewer comes out with moist crumbs.
5. Set cake out to cool in tin for 15, then remove from cake tin and turn on a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make ganache, combine chocolate and cream in heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of bowl). Stir occasionally, till mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for 90mins, stirring occasionally till it has cooled and thickened to spreadable consistency.
7. Spread ganache over cooled cake. Set aside for 30 mins or till ganache is firm, then serve!
Oh yeah, and guess who forgot to go to the store for cream and extra chocolate to make the ganache, and ALSO forgot that the supermarket closes early tonight and is closed all day tomorrow. Ganache-less cake it is!