What do you make when you’re tired, cold, and just want an easy meal because the thought of the effort required to chew very solid food just hurts your brain? Why, pumpkin soup, of course!
Or, in my case, pumpkin and kumara (or sweet potato) soup 😀 Pumpkin soup recipe is below the cut, but now I must be off to bed as I start back at work tomorrow. Ugh. Lucky Mr. Woofy (my dog) is already passed out and dreaming of thick meaty bones, by the looks of the drool spots on my doona cover!
Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 40g butter
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1.1 kg of coarsely chopped pumpkin (after skin and seeds have been removed)
- 500g coarsely chopped sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 cups water
- Either cream or sour cream to serve
How to Make Pumpkin Soup and Potato Recipe
1. Melt butter in a large pot, cook onion, garlic, cumin and coriander, stirring until the onion softens.
2. Add pumpkin, sweet potato and stock, stirring the ingredients just to make sure everything is mixed up. Add only enough water to barely cover the pumpkin. Reduce the heat and simmer the covered pot for 15 mins ore till the pumpkin is soft enough so that you can press it flat without too much effort.
Also Try: Sable Cookie Recipe
3. Use either a blender or stick blender to process the pumpkin mixture till very smooth. Leave in the covered pot till it is to be served.
4. Just before serving, add 1/2 cup of either cream or sour cream and stir through the hot mixture continuously till it is mixed in and smooth.
This makes about 4-5 hearty sized servings, and I love having this soup with garlicky mushrooms on toast. If no mushrooms are available, it is still perfectly good with a crusty roll to help mop up all the soup 😀