There is something about certain words and the mouthfeel that they give which will make me develop either a like or dislike of them, almost in spite of what the words themselves mean. For example, I find I can’t feel much for the word ‘fluctuate‘ – saying it makes my mouth feel awkward.
Almost as if it were full of marbles (I will never forget that look on Audrey Hepburn’s face when she finds herself in this predicament in ‘My Fair Lady’!), but a word as mundane as ‘sequential‘ can feel round and voluptuous as it rolls off my tongue, not akin to the sensation of a small piece of chocolate melting in your mouth.
Easy Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe You Need To Try
‘Snickerdoodle Cookie’ is a bit of a strange one. It’s a bit long, and yet bounces off the palate easily and quite vibrantly. It sounds and feels a bit childish, and yet there’s something oddly comforting in its pronunciation. And when a cookie has such a name, it makes it almost impossible to resist making them, just to see what kind of physical tastes are associated with such a word!
Yet another recipe from Nigella Lawson’s “How To Be A Domestic Goddess”, trying this snickerdoodle cookie recipe has only served to strengthen the love I have for this woman, the way she writes about food and the recipes she provides.
Though the snickerdoodle cookies didn’t form the crackled appearance that they are apparently famous for, the flavour and texture did not fail to impress, and their spicy cinnamon breath is inherently comforting.
The dough could not be any easier, and the process of making these (scoop, roll, roll, squish) is soothing in that way that easy, repetitive actions are. We’re already down to a half-batch, so I have a feeling I might be running another batch through the oven come this weekend!
Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe Ingredients
(recipe from Nigella’s “How To Be A Domestic Goddess”)
- 250g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
How to Make Homemade Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Mix together sugar and cinnamon for coating and place on a plate and set aside.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar till pale and creamy, then beat in egg and vanilla till well combined.
3. Stir in dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon till you have a smooth mixture. Take a tablespoon-ful of dough and roll into a ball. Roll in the cinnamon sugar coating and slightly squish down onto a lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving about 5cm (2 inches) between each cookie.
Also Try: Sable Cookie Recipe
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or till they start to go golden-brown. Remove from the oven and rest on baking tray for a minute before removing to a wire rack to cook.
5. Make yourself a cup of tea and enjoy with a cookie or two 🙂